Pilsley is a rural village in Northeast Derbyshire located close to Clay Cross and Chesterfield. Pilsley consists of two distinct residential areas known as Lower Pilsley and Pilsley (sometimes Upper Pilsley).
Pilsley has an Anglican church, St. Mary's, an evangelical Methodist church, two primary schools, a post office and a Kingdom Hall building for Jehovah's Witnesses.
Pilsley also has a Village Hall and St Mary's Centre (formerly the church hall). Recently a new sports hall (The Elm Centre) was also built for Pilsley Primary school which is also available for community use.
A section of the East Midland Mainline railway line (Nottingham to Chesterfield section) runs along the western edge of the village. A branch of the Great Central Railway ran through the village prior to the Beeching cuts of the 1960's, with a station sited on Station Road. The route of this former railway line now serves as a popular walking, cycling and horse riding trail known as the Five Pits Trail, linking Pilsley to Tibshelf, Holmewood, Grassmoor and beyond.
Pilsley is home to Pilsley Community Football Club who play at the Miners Welfare Sports Ground on Rupert Street in the village. The club cater for all ages from 5 years of age upwards, both boys and girls. The adult team is currently part of the Chesterfield Sunday League.
The source of the River Rother is at Pilsley, after which it flows northwards through Chesterfield, South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and into the Humber Estuary.
Pilsley Parish Council was formed on 30 January 1874.